[j-nsp] Sources for SFP+ optics

Andreas Lund andreas.lund at oikt.no
Thu Feb 23 08:37:13 EST 2012

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Robert Juric wrote:

>> They may have changed their policy, but I believe Juniper only
supports
>> Juniper optics in their equipment. Others will work, but if you want
full
>> support from Juniper I suggest you talk to your account team.
>
> They also don't support cables, but no one expects them to.  Why does
> there seem to be an expectation that they should support any products
that
> they don't sell?
>
> Keep in mind that "unsupported" just means they won't fix them if they

> break, not that the rest of your system is now somehow tainted.

All too often "unsupported" means "known to break things in weird ways,
we have no idea why and we gave up". Consequently, if you have to ask
management for a load of cash to buy new equipment to fix a problem
(e.g. hundreds of SFP modules) "unsupported" means your job may be on
the line.

--
Regards,

Andreas Lund
(storage/backup/network/databases)
Oyeren IKT -- http://www.oikt.no
Servicedesk: +47 6383 5200
Direct: tlf.+47 6383 5287, mob.+47 900 77 162