[j-nsp] Sources for SFP+ optics

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Feb 25 12:48:29 EST 2012

> 4. Vendors don't often spin their own optics.  Vendor C and J often
> use optics from Agilent, Finisar, etc, which are just re-branded
> (official label, different vendor ID programmed into the unit,
> etc.).

Agreed, I don't know any switch/router vendor who is also optic
manufacturer.
But I don't see how this explains why the market exists, just because
someone else builds them, does not mean you can't order them eeprommed with
your crypto key.

So considering vendor could stop this market from existing, or at least
make it very unattractive to non-ghetto shops. But they choose not to, why,
I've never fully understood.
--
  ++ytti