[j-nsp] Sources for SFP+ optics

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Thu Feb 23 14:52:52 EST 2012

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012, Saku Ytti wrote:

> Buying 3rd party can be done in many ways. One way is to use broken who
> uses many sources to find what you need. They can offer very good price and
> can rapidly deliver say any DWDM colour for any form-factor.
> But they have no idea what they are delivering, it's almost drop-shipping,
> will the DDM work? How well the I2C channel works all together? Newer
> routers poll I2C aggressively and some SFPs answer too slowly.
>
> Another way is to use shop which does nothing but optics and as such are
> subject matter experts. Uses single source for single part-number. Who has
> access to various vendors routers and switches and knows before shipping
> that it'll work on your gear. These are marginally more expensive than the
> brokers when buying one unit at a time, and they might have 7-8 week lead
> time (factory lead time) for stuff no on shelf (like certain DWDM colour)

I strongly disagree with your characterization.  I work with a couple of
different companies (yes, one of which is owned by my wife) to sell 3rd
party optics among other things.  I've been active in the service provider
community for many years, I still design networks and configure routers on
a regular basis.  While there certainly are many others that know a lot
more than me, I think I am pretty competent to understand and deal with
optics related issues.  Both companies I work with can deliver optics very
quickly, often next day and NEVER as long as 7-8 weeks and have VERY
competitive prices (and I don't mean competitive with the router
manufacturer's prices, I mean with other 3rd party optics).

Perhaps you've dealt with the wrong people.  Just like any other industry,
there are some that are good and some that are bad.  Similarly, no one
expects Juniper to support the Cisco switch connected to their router, why
anyone would expect Juniper to support a Finisar optic plugged into their
router, I don't understand.  A good optic supplier will give you a
lifetime, advanced replacement warranty and will be able to fully support
the optics they sell.

--
Brandon Ross                                      Yahoo & AIM:  BrandonNRoss
+1-404-635-6667                                                ICQ:  2269442