[j-nsp] Sources for SFP+ optics

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Feb 23 15:55:31 EST 2012

On (2012-02-23 14:52 -0500), Brandon Ross wrote:

> I strongly disagree with your characterization.  I work with a

> Both companies I work with can deliver optics very quickly, often
> next day and NEVER as long as 7-8 weeks and have VERY competitive
> prices (and I don't mean competitive with the router manufacturer's
> prices, I mean with other 3rd party optics).

This is not economical position to be in for DWDM. There are 80 channels
and at least 6 form factors and you need 40km and 80km reaches, so just to
have units for single leg + spare you need 2880 parts, at >1kUSD each.
If you can't sell these within 6months time, you might not be able to sell
them at profit, and you almost certainly cannot, as quite many of them are
not too common.

And now you are able to sell only 1 leg, customer might often need multiple
legs to do ring or whatnot.

You can get any waves for any form factor from brokers rapidly, but they use
multiple sources to hunt for them. So when possible, I plan ahead and order
from single source, but use brokers as last resort.

--
  ++ytti