[j-nsp] Sources for SFP+ optics

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Thu Feb 23 16:53:47 EST 2012

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012, Saku Ytti wrote:

>> Both companies I work with can deliver optics very quickly, often
>> next day and NEVER as long as 7-8 weeks and have VERY competitive
>> prices (and I don't mean competitive with the router manufacturer's
>> prices, I mean with other 3rd party optics).
>
> This is not economical position to be in for DWDM. There are 80 channels
> and at least 6 form factors and you need 40km and 80km reaches, so just to
> have units for single leg + spare you need 2880 parts, at >1kUSD each.

I have no idea how they do it, but I can tell you for certain that I've
been able to source DWDM optics for my clients within a week every single
time.  And yes, I'm referring to specific colors.

> You can get any waves for any form factor from brokers rapidly, but they use
> multiple sources to hunt for them. So when possible, I plan ahead and order
> from single source, but use brokers as last resort.

There's no doubt that if you are running a DWDM network you ABSOLUTELY
should be sparing your own stuff.  Often this means a few tunables so you
don't have to stock every frequency you are using, but that's a completely
different subject.

--
Brandon Ross                                      Yahoo & AIM:  BrandonNRoss
+1-404-635-6667                                                ICQ:  2269442