[j-nsp] Juniper SRX - license expireand no packet forwarding?

Maciej Jan Broniarz gausus at gausus.net
Thu Jan 5 04:58:48 EST 2012

Hi,

I have a problem with one of my srx240 boxes. My UTM/AV/IDP license has expired and the system has stopped forwarding the packets.
I have disabled all utm functions and rebooted the device. It was working fine for few days, yet now the problem occured again. I have no license related functions enabled, still:

show system license
License usage:
                                 Licenses     Licenses    Licenses    Expiry
  Feature name                       used    installed      needed
  av_key_kaspersky_engine               1            0           1    46 minutes
  wf_key_surfcontrol_cpa                1            0           1    1 minutes
  dynamic-vpn                           0            5           0    permanent
  ax411-wlan-ap                         0            2           0    permanent

I have deleted all licenses, rebooted the device and it looks like this:

show system license
License usage:
                                 Licenses     Licenses    Licenses    Expiry
  Feature name                       used    installed      needed
  av_key_kaspersky_engine               1            0           1    46 minutes
  wf_key_surfcontrol_cpa                1            0           1    1 minutes
  dynamic-vpn                           0            5           0    permanent
  ax411-wlan-ap                         0            2           0    permanent

Licenses installed:
  License identifier: XXXX
  License version: 2
  Valid for device: XXX
  Features:
    dynamic-vpn-5-users - Dynamic VPN
      permanent

What might be the problem? I need to be sure, that it won't stop forwarding packets again.

All best,
mjb