[j-nsp] Route origination in Junos

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Thu Jan 5 06:09:20 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 06:41:56PM +0800, Affandi Indraji wrote:
> Question:
> 1. Is there a way to put the routes that we originate in to the BGP routing
> table in the same router? what i mean is, if i originate
> 100.100.100.0/24 from router A, i also want to see
> 100.100.100.0/24 inside the BGP table in router A too (like cisco). Is this
> possible?

No, as there is no such thing as a "BGP table" in JUNOS. JUNOS is
fundamentally different from IOS in the way that there is a (simplified)
single routing table (RIB, for IPv4 unicast called "inet.0") where all
routes are maintained, no matter from what protocol or pseudo-protocol
(static, direct, aggregate etc.) it learned them. From there, you export
towards protocols and specific neighbors. This is why you cannot
advertise something in BGP which ain't in the central RIB. And there are
no two copies of the route in the inet.0 table because JUNOS tracks only
the "learned" version, not any re-advertised version of them, within
inet.0.

> 2. Is there any best practice to originate routes in Junos since it behave
> differently compare to cisco?

Just as you outlined... use statics/aggregate/generate routes (whatever
fits your exact needs about stability/conditionals), then accept those
in export policies towards protocols.

Best regards,
Daniel