[j-nsp] Route origination in Junos

Affandi Indraji affandi.indraji at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 05:41:56 EST 2012

Hi,

I understand that doing the origination from Junos is slightly different
from Cisco.

Cisco:
- configure the network statement in the "router bgp"
- configure the null route (or as long as the routes is in the routing
table) it will be available in the BGP routing table
- when we do the "sh ip bgp x.x.x.x" in the cisco router where we originate
x.x.x.x, it will be shown in the BGP routing table

Junos:
- configure discard static routes in "routing option"
- configure the policy statement to match the prefix that we configure in
the discard static route
- configure the policy statement into the "export" policy to the bgp
session that we want that origin routes to be announced
- if we do "show route protocol bgp x.x.x.x" in the router where we
originate the routes, we won't be able to see it int the BGP table.

Question:
1. Is there a way to put the routes that we originate in to the BGP routing
table in the same router? what i mean is, if i originate
100.100.100.0/24from router A, i also want to see
100.100.100.0/24 inside the BGP table in router A too (like cisco). Is this
possible?
2. Is there any best practice to originate routes in Junos since it behave
differently compare to cisco?

Thank you.

Regards,
Affandi