[j-nsp] QFX3500 optics lock?

Paul Zugnoni paul.zugnoni at onlive.com
Fri Jan 6 19:39:33 EST 2012

I've found that Juniper EX SFP+ ports work fine with $other_vendor's DAC cables connected to $other_vendor's equipment (and vice-versa with Juniper DAC cables) at the same time those SFP+ ports won't work with anyone else's optics (and likewise for many other vendors). I believe the same occurs on QFX, but not sure about 10G SFP+ ports on SRX.

Since DAC cables are technically NOT "optics," the statements that you cannot use non-Juniper optics in QFX3500 but that you can use non-Juniper DAC SFP+ cables should both hold true.

Curious. I wonder if it's possible for $sinister_vendor to have a means of detecting the make of the far-end device on a DAC cable connection and lock out the port if the local and distal ends are both $sinister_vendor but the DAC cable is from $other_vendor (and maybe already patented!).

Paul Zugnoni