[j-nsp] QFX3500 optics lock?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Jan 8 07:15:25 EST 2012

On 01/08/2012 03:27 AM, Julien Goodwin wrote:

> Nobody is asking Juniper to *support* third party optics, they never
> have before. All we want is, that like all other Juniper products to
> date (that I'm aware of) that third party optics work, and have feature
> parity.

Spot on, couldn't have put it better myself.

> To lock third party optics out you had to *add* code to JunOS, remember
> that.

Indeed. It's hardly likely to have been accidental "oops my finger
slipped and I added code to read the EEPROM and disable the port if
non-Juniper" ;o)

> Even ignoring common optic types (SR, LR, etc) there's still plenty of
> reasons to want third party optics, passive C/DWDM is just the start,
> RAD's [TE][13] SFP modules are another type that Juniper just don't offer.

Tunables for DWDM sparing, optics that do G.709 inside the transceiver,
120km optics (if/when they appear in 10G format). The list goes on.