[j-nsp] QFX3500 optics lock?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Jan 9 17:27:09 EST 2012

On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 02:27:44PM +1100, Julien Goodwin wrote:

> Nobody is asking Juniper to *support* third party optics, they never
> have before. All we want is, that like all other Juniper products to
> date (that I'm aware of) that third party optics work, and have
> feature parity.

Be careful what you ask for... We've seen many issues with the "support"
for third party optics, for example we still have ongoing issues with
Cisco copper SFPs which show link up despite nothing being plugged in
when used in an MX80... It's not as bad as a blatant lock, but if they
don't have to "support" it they don't need to "fix" it either. :)

The better way to say it is, we aren't going to call you and make you
fix it if it's just one broken optic doing something bad, but we still
expect you to make every reasonable effort to make your product work
correctly with other standards compliant components.