[j-nsp] Internet routes in MPLS network, global table or own VRF?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Jan 26 22:21:24 EST 2012

On Friday, January 27, 2012 03:48:23 AM Pavel Lunin wrote:

> What the VRF-based Internet users will definitely notice
> is (looks like RAS is tired of telling this story) is
> ICMP tunneling and consequent hard to interpret delay
> values. People are very suspicious to the numbers. This
> is almost impossible to explain, that the numbers,
> traceroute shows, have nothing to do with their
> kitty-photos-not-loading problem.

One of the reasons we:

	o Don't disable TTL propagation across our MPLS
	  network.

	o Avoid, as much as possible, running MPLS LPS's
	  that differ, greatly, from IGP routing (i.e., LDP
	  vs. RSVP) for Internet traffic. This issue is
	  massively exacerbated if you're running FA's,
	  which is why if we have to send traffic down RSVP
	  LSP's, we prefer IGP Shortcuts (Autoroute
	  Announce).

Mark.