[j-nsp] Internet routes in MPLS network, global table or own VRF?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Jan 27 21:56:16 EST 2012

On Saturday, January 28, 2012 07:59:36 AM Keegan Holley
wrote:

> Makes sense.  I'm still straddling the line between large
> enterprise and small service provider so I haven't felt
> the resource bite from RSVP everywhere.  Interesting to
> hear that perspective though.  I've seen RSVP work in a
> T-series/CRS based large network though so I guess
> platform choice ($$) and design play a role as well.

Running RSVP in the core is fairly common because there are
fewer boxes to deal with, and the aggregation and edge parts
of the network can simply run LDP, tunneling that inside an
RSVP-based core as needed.

But in some cases (such as BGP-MVPN or end-to-end strict
paths), one may need to run RSVP edge to edge, edge to
aggregation, edge to core, e.t.c. This isn't always
desirable, particularly if you want to make it avaialble as
a blanket feature for customers that aren't going to pay
additional for it (and why should they, it might not
necessarily be adding any real value to them).

In our access, we have a number of ME3600X Ethernet
switches. These are pretty powerful devices, but I'd also
shudder as to how much RSVP state they can maintain as the
network expands.

Besides, as I mentioned before, we like the MPLS topology to
follow the IP topology, and LDP does this quite nicely. But
if absolutely unavoidable, we will deploy RSVP.

Mark.