[j-nsp] Bricking EX4500 with 11.4R3 to R4 upgrade

Tarko Tikan tarko at lanparty.ee
Fri Jul 13 11:53:04 EDT 2012

hey,

I just want to get this information out there for others. We've received
a batch of new EX4500-40F (manufactured in march) with 11.4R1. They were
upgraded to R3 without any problems. When upgraded from R3 to R4, they
will boot once (during the upgrade process) but every subsequent reboot
will hang before loader prompt leaving you with a bricked device.

Last thing you will see is "Consoles: U-Boot console". Investigation
with JTAC is ongoing but it doesn't seem to be hardware issue as we have
already bricked 3 devices (2 accidently, one while trying to downgrade
to R3.

--
tarko