[j-nsp] MX80 poor monitoring, packet loss to RE, SNMP not responding

David Miller dmiller at tiggee.com
Thu Jul 19 18:54:19 EDT 2012

On 7/19/2012 5:56 PM, Morgan McLean wrote:
> So I actually don't use the FXP interface. I basically have four OSPF
> connections coming into my edge firewall srx cluster, and I use the
> loopback address advertised over OSPF to manage all of my devices. The
> MX80's are the only ones that seem to have a problem...am I S.O.L if I'm
> not using the FXP interface?
>
> Morgan

Not at all.  Management and monitoring over the loopback (in-band) is a
perfectly valid and workable configuration.

Knowing nothing at all about the config on your gear, I would think that
the first places to look for the source of intermittent failures would
be route stability and RE firewalls/policers.

You said that you get intermittent ping failures to the box.  Can you
ssh into the box reliably?  Can you ping from the box reliably to the
destination that has issues pinging to the box? ...and so on...

-DMM

> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Xu Hu <jstuxuhu0816 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Does the Juniper RE not the same as Cisco RSP. I think the control plane
>> information all need to go to the RE, if RE had any issue, why the traffic
>> don't have any issue?
>>
>> Thanks and regards,
>> Xu Hu
>>
>> On 18 Jul, 2012, at 22:32, "OBrien, Will" <ObrienH at missouri.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Check your fxp0 configuration. You may be shipping return traffic out
>> random interfaces...
>>> We are leaning toward putting all production traffic inside a virtual
>> routing instance/chassis and using the main routing instance just for
>> management.

>>> Morgan