[j-nsp] Any interest in my script that auto generate nagios configs for juniper devices polled via SNMP?

Morgan McLean wrx230 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 14:38:56 EDT 2012

I have a script that I've developed which when given a list of hosts will
poll via snmp and gather:

Interface details
BGP peers
OSPF neighbors
Hardware information

It then has some default behavior and intelligently builds a working nagios
configuration for the devices, all by itself. There are some configuration
flags, but the default behavior does quite a lot.

My implementation auto generates around 17,500 checks for 38 devices before
ignoring access interfaces etc, things I don't care as much about. I'm able
to generate all of this via my script in under five minutes. I'm assuming
once I configure the interfaces I want to ignore (a lot) that amount of
checks would come down significantly.

Some network admins don't know unix or nagios very well. If there is enough
interest I will put up a page with details on how to setup a quick nagios
installation, and include details about how to use the script (its very
easy). I'll probably start maintaining publicly it if there is enough
interest.

I run an all juniper network at work, so this script is really only
designed for juniper shops. These files can also augment existing nagios
configurations, a stand alone installation isn't needed.

Let me know, either publicly or directly please. I've included a few screen
shots.

http://i.imgur.com/kfh2z.png

http://i.imgur.com/IkVLo.png

http://i.imgur.com/xrSUh.png