[j-nsp] DSCP-marked traffic mysteriously being dropped by MX960

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 17:15:27 EDT 2012

We have packet captures going at the endpoints, but not in between,
unfortunately. It would be nice if we had a sniffer at that location
so we could mirror the ports and get some data there.

The inbound filter on Router C looks like this:

term netmgmt {
    then {
        count fec-cs2;
        loss-priority high;
        forwarding-class MNGMT;

Elsewhere, MNGMT is defined as cs2.

The outbound filter on Router A toward the end device is very long,
but the first two terms should allow ICMP and traceroute from the
address space that Device B is in. Further down in the filter is
another term that specifically permits CS2, among other things. We
know that that filter is working because when we remove the ingress
marking filter everything starts working, which indicates that the
outbound filter on Router A is correctly matching the source IP
address of Device B. I'd like to post more of the config, but I'm
trying to keep it sanitized and anonymous.  :)  I don't want to
irritate any bosses by posting our configs publicly.

Thanks,
John