[j-nsp] EX/MX G.8032 with OAM CCM's

Ben Boyd ben at sinatranetwork.com
Fri Jun 1 08:21:25 EDT 2012

Experts,

Does anyone out there have any working G.8032 ethernet ring w/ OAM backend configurations/implementations?

I setup an 8 switch (EX/MX mix) ring in the lab and OAM seems to be complicating things rather than acting like a layer 2 BFD.

When I fail a node (not the ring owner) without OAM configured in just a plain G.8032 ring, the convergence time is around 30 seconds. (Seems a bit high.  I've seen better times with RSTP)

When I fail a node (not the ring owner) with OAM configured, 50-70% of the ring goes to discarding and fluctuates from there, never ultimately converging.

Link failures on the other hand, converge in about 45ms.

If you need configs I can post them, but they're pretty vanilla (from the config examples on Juniper's site).

Ben Boyd
ben at sinatranetwork.com
http://about.me/benboyd