[j-nsp] Netflow equivalent for MX5 11.4

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jun 8 04:40:55 EDT 2012

On 06/08/2012 02:36 AM, Chris Kawchuk wrote:
> JunOS Routing for all intents and purposes is stateless.
>
> It doesn't cache information concerning the IP lookup (CEF-Style),

IOS hasn't worked like this for years. CEF is per-packet LPM, same as
JunOS, on both CPU- and ASIC-based platforms. If you enable netflow, the
box still creates/updates flows - but they're not (usually - see below)
used for forwarding.

One minor caveat: if I remember correctly, there are some platform and
feature combinations where the netflow cache is used to override
CEF-based forwarding because some non-CEF action needs to be taken - for
example, the NAT functionality on the 6500/sup720 is, IIRC, implemented
by punting the first packet to CPU, and building a flow entry that
contains the NAT rewrite for 2nd and subsequent packets. However, these
are very much the exception.

Cheers,
Phil