[j-nsp] cable modem/dsl/ftth bandwidth limiting

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Tue Jun 19 16:54:53 EDT 2012

An ISP I used to work for shaped/policed every single session at the
LNS, downstream towards the customer, to the maximum service speed of
their purchased plan.

If a customer suddenly becomes the target of a DoS attack, you dont
want hundreds or thousands of megabits flooding onto your expensive
and/or limited uplinks to your wholesale broadband suppliers and
potentially affecting all of your customers instead of just 1.

Also if a customer is provisioned for say 2mbit, and the provider
stuffs up and accidentally allows 20mbit, the customer still only gets
what they paid for, though I think that was very rare, and it was
mostly to protect from the above.

They used a number of different platforms (all Cisco) from 7200, to
10000, and now ASR1k.

Tom