[j-nsp] "forwarding-options helpers bootp" vs. "forwarding-options dhcp-relay"?

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Tue Jun 26 16:29:35 EDT 2012

I am trying to get my story straight on this, as there is some confusion
regarding multiple ways of configuring an MX to be a DHCP relay.

The older way of being a DHCP relay is to use the "forwarding-options
helpers bootp"" syntax.   The newer way is to use the "forwarding-options
dhcp-relay" syntax.     There are more bells and whistles under the
"dhcp-relay" stanza, thus making the router into an "extended DHCP relay
agent".

One annoying aspect about these two different syntax expressions is that
they are mutually incompatible on the same router:

Warning: 'dhcp-relay' statement cannot be included along with
'forwarding-options helpers bootp' statement

This appears to be the case even if the statements are used in different
routing-instances.

Does anyone know why Juniper developed a different, incompatible syntax
logic for "extended" DHCP?  Why didn't they just expand the logic under
"helpers bootp"?

Afterall, isn't DHCP just the "son of bootp"?  ;-)

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary
Jones Hall (Room 18)
Williamsburg VA 23187