[j-nsp] Firewall filter using a prefix-list, not updating

David Gee dave at infiltr8.com
Sun Mar 4 11:45:04 EST 2012

Hi all,

This is the first time I've used this group (although I've been subscribed
to it for a while!!!!). First off I'd like to say how useful it's been
watching the group share and deal with issues. I don't know if I'm
experiencing an issue, or if this is standard operation for Junos. Some help
would be greatly appreciated though.

If I create a relatively simple filter such as the one below, and attach it
as an output filter on a vlan interface, it works as per the prefix-list it
references. However, if I update the prefix-list, like add an additional
/32, the firewall filter does not permit it. If I remove and re-apply the
filter, it has no effect on the new addition to the prefix-list (even though
the prefix shows up in the prefix-list). To force the new prefix to become
active, I have had to re-apply the firewall filter statement that references
the prefix-list (i.e. delete it, and re-apply it). Is this normal?

Model: j4350

JUNOS Software Release [10.4R7.5]

(Inet running in packet-mode and not flow-mode)

filter management_protect {

    term discard_world {

        from {

            source-prefix-list {

                manager_ips except;     #<If I add additional prefixes to
the manager_ips list, they do not take effect until I delete and set this
configuration line>

                world;

            }

        }

        then {

            discard;

        }

    }

    term permit_mng {

        then {

            count management_count;

            accept;

        }

    }

}

Thanks and look forward to the response,
David Gee