[j-nsp] Firewall filter using a prefix-list, not updating

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Sun Mar 4 12:00:38 EST 2012

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012, David Gee wrote:

> If I create a relatively simple filter such as the one below, and attach it
> as an output filter on a vlan interface, it works as per the prefix-list it
> references. However, if I update the prefix-list, like add an additional
> /32, the firewall filter does not permit it. If I remove and re-apply the
> filter, it has no effect on the new addition to the prefix-list (even though
> the prefix shows up in the prefix-list). To force the new prefix to become
> active, I have had to re-apply the firewall filter statement that references
> the prefix-list (i.e. delete it, and re-apply it). Is this normal?

I have several firewall filters that reference prefix-lists which are
updated frequently, and I have not run into this issue.  I'm also running
slightly older code (10.3).

Have you checked with JTAC on this?  While a quick scan of bug reports
didn't show anything that looked like a match for what you're seeing, it
might still be worth contacting JTAC and having them look at the issue.

Our workflow is:
update prefix-list
annotate new prefix-list entry/entries
review uncommitted changes