[j-nsp] ISIS Authentication Problems

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Mar 9 11:38:21 EST 2012

On Saturday, March 10, 2012 12:07:29 AM John Neiberger
wrote:

> Nevermind, I just found the answer to my question. In
> IOS, if you add authentication to the interface it only
> authenticates the hello packets. If you add
> authentication to the routing instance, it authenticates
> LSPs but not hellos. If you want everything to be
> authenticated you have to configure authentication on
> the interface and on the routing instance.

That's right; in IOS and IOS XE, you'd configure
authentication just as you've mentioned, illustrated below
for IPv4 and IPv6:

key chain some-name-you-like
 key 1
  key-string <password-here>
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
 <snip>

 isis authentication mode md5 level-2
 isis authentication key-chain some-name-you-like level-2
!
!
router isis 1
 <snip>

 authentication mode md5
 authentication key-chain some-name-you-like level-2
!

Of course, in the above, you'd define whether you're
enabling authentication just on one or both levels.

This will be compatible with both Junos and IOS XR.

Cheers,

Mark.