[j-nsp] VPLS Frustrations (Juniper - Cisco)

Ben Boyd ben at sinatranetwork.com
Thu Mar 22 11:34:43 EDT 2012

All,

I'm running into VPLS frustrations in an MX.  I'd like to create a VPLS instance in which a customer can plug in a device on any port in our network and we'll pass the traffic no matter what type of traffic it is (we're just a wire).  For example, they can plug in a switch/router where the interface is tagging traffic or not tagging traffic.

This particular example is one CE-switch to another CE-Switch, but we'll eventually add several additional switches and routers in the same VPLS instance.

Right now, I am seeing BPDU's received from one CE switch to another CE switch, but I'm not seeing any coming back.

I'm also not able to ping from CE to CE on any VLAN.

Here is the Setup:

CE switch #1 (untagged/tagged) -------- MX240 (11.4R1.14) -------- P router -------- Cisco PE -------- CE switch #2 (untagged/tagged)

CE switch #2 is receiving BPDUs from CE switch #1, however CE switch #1 isn't receiving BPDU's from CE switch #2

Relevant MX240 config:
admin at interop-MX240# show interfaces ge-2/1/0
mtu 9192;
encapsulation ethernet-vpls;
unit 0 {
    family vpls;
}

admin at interop-MX240# show routing-instances VPLS2001
instance-type vpls;
vlan-id all;
interface ge-2/1/0.0;
protocols {
    vpls {
        no-tunnel-services;
        vpls-id 100;
        mtu 9216;
        neighbor 172.16.0.11;
    }
}

admin at interop-MX240# show protocols layer2-control
mac-rewrite {
    interface ge-2/1/0 {
        protocol {
            stp;
            vtp;
            cdp;
        }
    }
}

The VPLS VC is up from MX240 to Cisco PE.

admin at interop-MX240# run show vpls connections
Instance: VPLS2001
  VPLS-id: 100
    Neighbor                  Type  St     Time last up          # Up trans
    172.16.0.11(vpls-id 100)  rmt   Up     Mar 22 11:13:33 2012           1
      Remote PE: 172.16.0.11, Negotiated control-word: No
      Incoming label: 262151, Outgoing label: 119
      Negotiated PW status TLV: No
      Local interface: lsi.1052423, Status: Up, Encapsulation: ETHERNET

Cisco_PE#show mpls l2transport vc

Local intf     Local circuit              Dest address    VC ID      Status
VFI vpls1      VFI                        172.16.0.12     100        UP

If anyone has some config advice, i'm open to it!

Ben Boyd
ben at sinatranetwork.com
http://about.me/benboyd