[j-nsp] IPFIX - "no template found" in wireshark of Flow Collector

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Mar 24 08:11:26 EDT 2012

On 03/23/2012 06:25 PM, Arun Kumar wrote:
> Hi NSP,
>
> I configured IPFIX in juniper MX running 11.2 R3. I run wireshark in flow
> collector where i m getting flows from the juniper router but all data are
> showing "no template found"? What is the problem in this? I had a problem

This is normal and expected.

IPFIX/Neflow9 exporters only send the templates periodically. They are
not sent with every packet.

You need to leave your capture running for long enough that it:

  1. Sees a packet with IPFIX/NF9 templates
  2. Sees data packets referencing those templates

On other (non-JunOS) platforms, I have been able to trigger a template
export by making and then un-making a config change to the netflow
export that will affect the templates e.g. remove then re-add src/dst AS
number.

Many/most platforms have configuration for the interval to re-send the
templates; I think it is:

edit set service flow-monitoring version-ipfix template X
set template-refresh-rate [packets N | seconds Y]