[j-nsp] vmember limits in EX series stack

Julien Goodwin jgoodwin at studio442.com.au
Tue May 29 03:41:14 EDT 2012

On 01/05/12 13:15, Naveen Nathan wrote:
> I'm attempting to retire a cisco 6509 setup, replacing it with an EX4200
> virtual chassis configuration (8 linecards). I've run into a warning
> when committing the configuration:
>
> warning: Exceeded vmember threshold limit, it is recommended to
> have not more than 32752 vmembers
>
> Our current setup has 200 VLANs defined; and can grow anywhere upto 300
> in the future.

(I *knew* there was a post I'd meant to reply to a while back...)

It's not clear from your post whether you know how VLAN's map to ports,
and how static they are, but one option that makes managing it fairly
sane is using apply groups. A simple (but not EX type) example is at:

http://laptop006.livejournal.com/55440.html

And a variant that's EX-specific made it into last year's tips book:

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/community/junos/training-certification/day-one/fundamentals-series/junos-tips-techniques/