[j-nsp] Conditionally advertising default based on provider BGP status

Morgan McLean wrx230 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 03:53:37 EST 2012

Last email about defaults, I swear. :)

I have two routers that have some feeds to providers. I don't want them to
be advertising the default atomic aggregate I'm generating to downstream
devices when it doesn't have the connectivity to back it up.

Whats the best way to do this? I consider taking key internet routes and
putting them into a policy for the aggregate, if 1.0.0.0/8 or longer
exists, allow etc. I could do this for a few ranges that span different
major IP's, but maybe a route filter that large would slow things down?

I'd like to be able to do it based on BGP state...

Any tips?

Right now I plan on running both routers independent of one another, so
basically if one router loses connectivity to providers, it won't advertise
default to my SRX cluster. If the router loses connectivity to the SRX
cluster, it won't advertise to the providers.

I don't want to share full tables between the routers, so I figured that
was easiest and most direct / effective.

Thank you!
Morgan