[j-nsp] DHCP interface as next hop

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Thu Nov 29 02:18:30 EST 2012

> However, I cannot set ge-0/0/0.0 as the next-hop because it's not a point to point interface. I cannot set an IP address as the next-hop because I don't know when it will change.
>
> Any ideas on how to address that?

Missing functionality in JunOS. Complain to your SE. Other vendors can
do this. (Also available in JunOSe, for the E-series.)

I can understand the choice of not including this functionality. Juniper
can avoid the well known of problem of pointing a default route at an
Ethernet interface, leading to an ARP for every new/unknown destination.
However, in my opinion Juniper *should* still offer this functionality,
leaving the user with plenty of rope to hang himself :-)

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no