[j-nsp] DHCP interface as next hop

Alex Arseniev alex.arseniev at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 04:26:19 EST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: <sthaug at nethelp.no>

> I can understand the choice of not including this functionality. Juniper
> can avoid the well known of problem of pointing a default route at an
> Ethernet interface, leading to an ARP for every new/unknown destination.

There is a recent post on this board describing this exact problem with "ARP
for every new/unknown destination"
https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/juniper-nsp/2012-November/024826.html

However, the original issue - 0/0 pointing to DHCP default-router - is
scriptable easily enough in SLAX.
Should you go this route, make sure your provider has ARP policer in place
to withstand a routing loop in your network :-)

HTH
Rgds
Alex