[j-nsp] Distributing OSPF load on MX80

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Thu Nov 29 07:19:33 EST 2012

As mentioned in the thread on OSPF packet drops, I have an MX80 dropping
OSPF packets during every commit, after adding ~1500 VLAN interfaces.

The major load seems to be ppmd, not rpd. On larger MX's, it is
apparently possible to distribute ppmd processing to the line cards.
Does that work on the MX80?

Alternative, is BFD cheap on an MX80? If I turn on BFD, I could set the
OSPF hello timers longer than the current 10 seconds. Of course that is
no good if BFD just makes even more work for the already-busy routing
engine.

/Benny