[j-nsp] Distributing OSPF load on MX80

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Thu Nov 29 11:34:46 EST 2012

29.11.2012, Benny Amorsen wrote:
> Alternative, is BFD cheap on an MX80? If I turn on BFD, I could set the
> OSPF hello timers longer than the current 10 seconds. Of course that is
> no good if BFD just makes even more work for the already-busy routing
> engine.
AFAIK, at least as of 11.something, BFD was handled by RE on MX80, not
the host-CPU like it is on the big MXes. Looks like it's because the
host-CPU on MX80 is quite less quick (marketing way of reading this is
"it's more power and heat efficient thus more suitable for mobile
applications, which is what MX80 was first primary designed for" :).

The issue has been discussed here about a year ago:
https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/juniper-nsp/2011-March/019245.html

I think it's worth to check if any hellows are dropped by the control
plane protection policers on the way to the RE.