[j-nsp] Distributing OSPF load on MX80

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Thu Nov 29 17:45:03 EST 2012

2012/11/29 Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi>

> On (2012-11-29 20:34 +0400), Pavel Lunin wrote:
>
> > AFAIK, at least as of 11.something, BFD was handled by RE on MX80, not
> > the host-CPU like it is on the big MXes. Looks like it's because the
> > host-CPU on MX80 is quite less quick (marketing way of reading this is
>
> I suppose host-CPU means PFE/LC CPU? MX80 has pq3 8544, MPC2 has pq3 8548.
> MPC2 needs to talk to two trios, MX80 only one. So it does not feel like
> MX80 PFE CPU is underpowered compared to big brothers.

>From the frequency point of view — yes. Not sure my knowlege is enough for
a full-scale Steve Jobs' style megaherz-myth holywar, but looks like the
8548's built-in ethernet can be the key:
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?code=PCPPCMPC85XX

Well' don't get me wrong, I don't know the right anwer, I only heard some
rumors that MX80 "linecard" host subsystem is weeker that that of the MPCs.
It might be totally wrong though.

IMHO, a good field way to check whether it's of the same capability would
be to test inline Trio IPFIX performance on MX80. Flow export is done by
this CPU. I've been wondering how powerful MX80 is in inline JFlow since
Juniper announced this feature, but didn't have an opportunity to test it.

--
Regards,
Pavel