[j-nsp] GRE on MX5 - MX80 range

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Oct 1 02:16:11 EDT 2012

On (2012-10-01 08:08 +0200), sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

> > Anyone know if the MX10 router supports GRE tunneling straight out of the
> > box?
>
> AS far as I know it needs a MIC (for the "tunnel PIC"). On one of our
> MX80s which has a 20 port 1G MIC, the "tunnel PIC" is created with

As it's done in trio and not in IX, chassis FPC is just as fine, it won't
even have any effect on performance which FPC you choose, but standard
config might want to refer to FPC0, as it's always there.

In multilinecard system you might be tempted to do some micro optimization
and make sure trio facing customer is doing the tunnel.

To the other question of 'IPSEC' to MX80, I've not polled JNPR, but has
there is slot and lot of capacity dedicated for this behind the box, it
seems likely that something like MS-DPC will come for that slot, which will
then support various software based solutions.

--
  ++ytti