[j-nsp] Krt queue issues

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Oct 1 08:15:39 EDT 2012

On (2012-10-01 08:38 +0100), Darren O'Connor wrote:

Hi Darren,

> So to me this means this problem is a software issue, not hardware. And it's not yet fixed. Hence spending the money on a new box would be of no use.

Certainly not hardware issue, cisco boxes running significantly lower
performance RPs wont do this (well at this scale). Like crappy old
sup720-3bxl.

IMHO this is absolutely worst thing router can do, not have RIB and FIB in
sync, since then all your investments in redundant network was lost. You
have working backup paths, but they cannot be used due to your router
sucking traffic it cannot handle yet.
If they can't fix the FIB programming, they should also stop accepting
routes from routing protocols, even if BGP convergence takes 30min, it's
much more preferable to FIB/RIB desync.

> This particular router for me will be connected to a peering point so will have around 200 neighbours, as well as a transit link with a full BGP table.

JunOS is exceedingly poorly performing platform in control-plane,
especially with PPC control-plane. 200 neighbours on MX80 does not sound
like a good idea right now. You probably should have gone with bigger MX
where you'd get XEON.

MX80 has faster CPU than RSP720, but RSP720 runs circles around MX80 :/
--
  ++ytti