[j-nsp] CCC on EX, link state propagation

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Wed Oct 10 22:34:35 EDT 2012

Hi Benny,

On 11/10/2012, at 1:03 AM, Benny Amorsen <benny+usenet at amorsen.dk> wrote:

> I am considering building a very simple setup with a number of ethernet
> interfaces on one switch each CCC-tunnelled through a common fiber to
> another switch. I.e. simply emulating a typical ethernet CWDM using
> EoMPLS.
>
> One feature which would be very handy is link state propagation across
> those EOMPLS links. Ideally, if the fiber breaks, the ports at each end
> go down so the equipment at each end quickly become aware of the break.
> Even better if loss of link on a port at one end also shuts down the
> link at the other end.
>
> Can the EX series do that? I'm thinking of the EX4550 in particular, but
> information about other EX-switches is welcome as well.

I don't think the EX has this exact capability, but depending on your edge devices, you'd be better off running OAM (both CFM and LFM) which the EXs do support (though sadly not the EX4500/4550):

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos11.2/topics/concept/cfm-ethernet-oam-ex-series.html

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/concept/ex-series-software-features-overview.html#network-manage-monitor-features-by-platform-table

I haven't tried, but maybe you could tunnel OAM PDUs through your CCC so that your edge devices have direct adjacency?

Alternatively, you could write an event script : (