[j-nsp] CCC on EX, link state propagation

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Thu Oct 11 07:54:04 EDT 2012

Ben Dale <bdale at comlinx.com.au> writes:

> I don't think the EX has this exact capability, but depending on your
> edge devices, you'd be better off running OAM (both CFM and LFM) which
> the EXs do support (though sadly not the EX4500/4550):

That is an excellent suggestion. Thank you. Some of the links will be
carrying BGP/LDP-signalled MPLS traffic, so BFD should save the day for
those.

Some of the switches which are to be connected through this setup are
themselves EX4550's, using LACP. It seems the only failure detection
will be LACP itself, which means several seconds of packet loss if a
link fails.

> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos11.2/topics/concept/cfm-ethernet-oam-ex-series.html
>
> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/concept/ex-series-software-features-overview.html#network-manage-monitor-features-by-platform-table

Thank you very much for the links.

> I haven't tried, but maybe you could tunnel OAM PDUs through your CCC so that your edge devices have direct adjacency?

> Alternatively, you could write an event script : (

I could :) It is a bit tricky I think. If I use the event script to
disable the interface when CCC fails, then the CCC will not ever come up
again -- the CCC itself will get disabled along with the interface. Then
I need to periodically enable the interface, just to see if CCC comes
up. Not nice.

More ideas welcome!

/Benny