[j-nsp] WAN input prioritization on MX

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Oct 17 03:25:46 EDT 2012

On (2012-10-16 19:23 -0300), Gustavo Santos wrote:

> gustavo at BRD01# commit check
> [edit class-of-service interfaces ge-1/1/4 unit 0]
>   'input-shaping-rate'
>     cannot configure bandwidth (pic has no CoS queuing)
> error: configuration check-out failed

This is misconfig on your part, on correct config you get different commit
complaint. But even in right config, I don't think it currently works anywhere.
I've given my SE lot of pain about this, and latest word was that 12.1R3
and 12.2R2 should get it.

12.1R3 appears to have some work done to it, as these appear to it when MX80 is upgraded:

fpc 1 {
    pic 0 {
        traffic-manager {
            mode ingress-and-egress;
        }
    }
    pic 1 {
        traffic-manager {
            mode ingress-and-egress;
        }
    }
    pic 2 {
        traffic-manager {
            mode ingress-and-egress;
        }
    }
    pic 3 {
        traffic-manager {
            mode ingress-and-egress;
        }
    }
}

Too bad this config does not actually commit, so you're left with unreachable
empty config MX80 upon upgrade, but difference to normal JunOS operation goes
to the margin of error.
Commit error is 'Slot 1 cannot support Ingress Queueing in more than one pic'

After you remove 'ingress-and-egress' from all but 1 PIC, the configuration
commits. One could postulate that this is because QX is under-dimensioned
already for TX and adding RX for more than half the ports was deemed by BU to
expose it too rapidly. HW wise all ports are equal and could use QX for
ingress/egress (even chassis ports).

But even after this operation, egress appears not to work:

root at le_ruuter# show|compare
[edit interfaces]
+   xe-1/0/0 {
+       hierarchical-scheduler;
+       flexible-vlan-tagging;
+       encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
+       unit 42 {
+           vlan-tags outer 42;
+           family inet {
+               address 10.42.42.1/24;
+           }
+       }
+   }
[edit class-of-service]
+  traffic-control-profiles {
+      100m {
+          shaping-rate 100m;
+      }
+  }
[edit class-of-service interfaces]
+    xe-1/0/0 {
+        unit 42 {
+            input-traffic-control-profile 100m;
+        }
+    }

[edit]
root at le_ruuter# commit
[edit class-of-service interfaces xe-1/0/0 unit 42]
  'input-traffic-control-profile'
    cannot configure traffic control profile (pic has no input queueing)
error: configuration check-out failed

[edit]

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I'm not.
--
  ++ytti