[j-nsp] How are max routes calculated on an SRX

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+junipernsp at eintellego.net
Wed Oct 17 20:04:58 EDT 2012

Hey all,

I am considering using an SRX550 as a border router - its cheap, fast, and
flexible, with a great selection of interfaces.

Question is.... the specs say it can support a maximum of 700k routes.

Now, if what I suspect is right, that is great, but I am getting
conflicting information.

A full feed at the moment is about 430k routes.  So I am hoping that the
SRX550 could take multiple full feeds... lets say - 3-4, and it just
installs a single unique copy of the full feed which is way under the 700k
threshold.

But someone was trying to tell me that it couldn't take two world feeds as
together they are 860k routes.. but my gut feeling is that this is wrong as
I am not sure what purpose the SRX550 having 700k route capacity would be
if it operated that way.

Any pointers to documentation that supported how Juniper SRX counted their
routes would be great.

...Skeeve
*

*
*Skeeve Stevens, CEO - *eintellego Pty Ltd
skeeve at eintellego.net ; www.eintellego.net

Phone: 1300 753 383; Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; skype://skeeve

facebook.com/eintellego ;  <http://twitter.com/networkceoau>
linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/networkceoau ; blog: www.network-ceo.net

The Experts Who The Experts Call