[j-nsp] How reliable is EX multichassis? 3300 and 8200 switches

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Tue Oct 30 19:30:55 EDT 2012

Hi Morgan,

On 31/10/2012, at 9:06 AM, Morgan McLean <wrx230 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anybody give me an idea regarding typical failover times if the master
> in a two switch pair were to die? The quickest I've seen in my testing with
> EX3300's is 45 seconds, just for L2 forwarding to continue working, no
> routing. All the ports drop link as well on the secondary switch while
> things switch over. I can have my laptop connected to the secondary switch,
> passing traffic up an uplink on the secondary, and if the master dies it
> creates a 45 second interruption.
>
> Normal?

Yes, but add the following to your configuration:

set virtual-chassis no-split-detection    (you may already have this)
set routing-options nonstop-routing
set ethernet-switching-options nonstop-bridging

and try again.  In your testing, put a 3rd switch in place with LACP and one leg to each member.

My testing (45/42xx) has shown L2 should be pretty much hitless under most circumstances (except if your STP topology needs to re-converge), and L3 should around the 1-4 seconds mark (for violent failures of master RE).

The worst case scenario though is re-merging a split VC, which can take the best part of 45 seconds, so avoid split-brain scenarios whenever possible with redundant VCP/VCPe or schedule their repair during planned outage windows.

Cheers,

Ben