[j-nsp] 6pe between Cisco and Juniper

Mihai mihaigabriel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 13:35:24 EDT 2012

The logical topology is this:

Juniper <-bgp-> RR1 <-bgp-> Cisco with 6pe (client for RR1, RR2 for CE)
<-ipv6 bgp-> non 6pe device (CE).

None of your suggestions worked in this setup, so I disabled the bgp
session between  RR2 and CE and configured a new IPV6 session between CE
and RR1 using a new group.

ce#sh bgp ipv6 unicast summar | b Nei
Neighbor        V    AS MsgRcvd MsgSent   TblVer  InQ OutQ Up/Down
State/PfxRcd

FC00:2000:2000::1
                 4 65500      36      59        6    0    0 00:32:01
     0
ce#

rr1#show bgp ipv6 unicast summary | b Nei
Neighbor        V    AS MsgRcvd MsgSent   TblVer  InQ OutQ Up/Down
State/PfxRcd
10.10.10.10     4 65500     118     130        8    0    0 00:10:20        0
FC00:1000:1000::1
                 4 65500      41      36        8    0    0 00:32:54
     1

juniper#show configuration protocols bgp
group test {
     type internal;
     local-address 10.10.10.10;
     family inet {
         unicast;
     }
     family inet6 {
         labeled-unicast {
             explicit-null;
         }
     }
     neighbor 10.10.10.20;
}
group test2 {
     type internal;
     local-address fc00:3000:3000::1;
     family inet6 {
         unicast;
     }
     neighbor FC00:2000:2000::1;
}

Now both sessions are up,but the prefix received by the neighbor in
inet6 labeled-unicast family is strange:

juniper#show route receive-protocol bgp 10.10.10.20

inet6.0: 9 destinations, 9 routes (8 active, 0 holddown, 1 hidden)
   Prefix		  Nexthop	       MED     Lclpref    AS path
   7700::/23               fc00:1000:1000::1    0       100        I

The good thing is that I receive the correct prefix over the ipv6 bgp
session and I can block the bad one in inet6 labeled-unicast using a policy.

juniper#show route receive-protocol bgp fc00:2000:2000::1
* fc00:7777::/47          fc00:1000:1000::1    0       100        I

This is a curious case of 6PE:)

Thank you all for your answers!