[j-nsp] Nextgen Multicast on MX boxes

Gordon Smith gordon at gswsystems.com
Wed Sep 12 20:06:24 EDT 2012

 Hi all,

 I'm after some advice on setting up nextgen multicast on an RSVP based
 MPLS network.

 The network is quite simple - MX5's with static lsp's, rsvp signalling
 & fast reroute.

 But setting up multicast over this is not something I'm very familiar
 with.
 I've looked at the Juniper extranet doc, but it's not exactly clear
 with explanations of why the configs are done that way.
 e.g. if I want to pass a stream from one vrf to another vrf on the same
 router, I need to configure a vt- interface. That's fine, but what (if
 any) additional steps
 are required to actually establish a stream between the 2 vrf's?

 The routers are set up as redundant pairs (vrrp between interfaces) -
 is PIM sparse my best option, or should I be looking to anycast for
 redundancy, or something else?
 Can I dictate the group membership at the router, or do the endpoints
 need to be statically configured for the correct group membership?
 The docs show both ldp & rsvp configured together - is the mLDP
 functionality a requirement to get mvpn to work correctly?

 Sorry for all the questions. Trying to get a better understanding on
 what the best solution is and what the box limitations are

 Cheers,
 Gordon