[j-nsp] MX Design

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Mon Sep 17 17:34:40 EDT 2012

Johan,

Regarding your question about whether or not to run MSTP up to a pair of
MX distribution routers from downstream EX's, I wrestled with this for
awhile several years ago.  I had a devil of a time trying to get Link
Aggregation (LAG) to work even between two MX routers reliably without
introducing other issues in the pre-10.4 days, so I gave up on it.

The idea of Multi-Chassis LAG active/active does sound inviting, but I
guess I am a bit shy still about LAG in general introducing weirdness and
bugs.

I really would like to see Juniper embrace IEEE802.1aq Shortest Path
Bridging or the IETF RBridges, but with the current emphasis on QFabric I
am not holding my breadth.   At this point, waiting for  BGP MPLS Based
MAC VPN is a more realistic down-the-road type of thing from Juniper.

In the meantime, we opted to bringing MSTP up into the MX routers and make
one of MX routers the root and the other a backup root.  We lose use of
one of the links, but at least it has been very stable over the past few
years, and I stay away from proprietary solutions.

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary
Jones Hall (Room 18)
Williamsburg VA 23187