[j-nsp] MX Design

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Mon Sep 17 23:29:47 EDT 2012

On 18/09/2012, at 11:56 AM, Frank Sweetser <fs at WPI.EDU> wrote:

> For what it's worth, we've been harassing pretty much everyone we talk to with a juniper.net email address about SPB.  I suspect the biggest limitation is that nowhere in any EX or MX docs is there mention of support for 802.1ah mac-in-mac, which is pretty necessary for SPB.

MX has had support for PBB (and thus 802.1ah) since 10.0:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.0/topics/example/pbb-eline-elan-mx-series-configuring.html

I too would like to see SPB get some support in Junos, or alternatively, JunosSDK getting some support for layer2 protocols, so someone else can have a crack at implementing it.

The pendulum of hype in the data centre appears to be swinging away from distributed control-plane and toward centralised everything (QFabric, Virtual-Chassis, SDN etc).  Maybe there is still hope for the metro?

Ben