[j-nsp] MX80 bridge-domain QinQ question

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Wed Sep 19 16:00:07 EDT 2012

Dear List,

I am having trouble figuring out how to configure a bridge-domain setup for
customer traffic with QinQ outer-tags on some interfaces, but not all.  My
topology is as follows:

CE---telco network---MX80---EX4200---CE

In this case, the vlans between MX80 and EX4200 are single-tagged; but an
outer-tag must be pushed toward the telco to direct them to the customer
site.  This is possible by creating a distinct bridge-domain, and logical
interfaces, per each CVLAN.  However, it will not work with vlan-id-lists
or similar, which may allow me to avoid all that extra config per CVLAN.
 Various restrictions on when input/output-vlan-map can be used, etc.
prevent me from configuring it.

Obviously the savvy thing to do is simply push an outer tag using the
EX4200, which then may be swapped as needed; but is it possible to
configure this as I want, without distinct bridge-domain and logical units
per each CVLAN?  The restriction against doing push/pop operations on outer
tags when vlan-id-list is in use seem to be stopping me.  FYI I have tried
on 10.4 and 11.4 boxes, so I do have interface-mode trunk; but it is
unhelpful given the push/pop limits.

Thanks
--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts