[j-nsp] EX Switch Question

Craig Askings caskings at ionetworks.com.au
Mon Apr 1 20:01:12 EDT 2013

On 2 April 2013 09:06, Ben Dale <bdale at comlinx.com.au> wrote:

> I couldn't agree more.  Funnily enough when I saw the EX2200C-12 get
> released being both fanless and shallow depth the first use case I thought
> was ME NTU/Small PoP.
>
> Front-mounted power would have been nice, but hey, I'll deal.
>
> There are enough dot1q-tunnelling knobs built-in* for most applications,
> and aggregating this back to an MX somewhere would make this a pretty solid
> design.  Port ERPS down to the 22xx code (once Juniper get it sub 50ms) and
> this would kick ass.
>
> I've seen a couple of MX80s sitting in basements where there is little or
> no air-con, and I can't imagine them being long for this world.
>
> *Having to pay more than the price of the switch to activate EFL to use
> Q-in-Q does dampen the idea somewhat though.

When the ex2200C came out, I considered it as a Metro-E CPE / demarc
device. It was missing to many features for that role at the time and lost
out to devices targeted for that market such as the T-marc 340 or an ADVA
FSP(?). As much as disliked working on the T-marcs, they were cheap and it
was easy enough to dump a template on it and never touch them again.

--

Regards,

Craig Askings

io Networks Pty Ltd.