[j-nsp] EX Switch Question

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Tue Apr 2 10:34:18 EDT 2013

> I couldn't agree more. Funnily enough when I saw the EX2200C-12 get
> released being both fanless and shallow depth the first use case I
> thought was ME NTU/Small PoP. Front-mounted power would have been
> nice, but hey, I'll deal. There are enough dot1q-tunnelling knobs
> built-in* for most applications, and aggregating this back to an MX
> somewhere would make this a pretty solid design. Port ERPS down to the
> 22xx code (once Juniper get it sub 50ms) and this would kick ass. I've
> seen a couple of MX80s sitting in basements where there is little or
> no air-con, and I can't imagine them being long for this world.
> *Having to pay more than the price of the switch to activate EFL to
> use Q-in-Q does dampen the idea somewhat though.
Well, don't get me wrong. MPLS in the access is a lovely thing and I
really understand what Mark from Juniper. Moreover I personally hate all
the plain ethernet garbages in the access (people tend to insert more
tiers on the way from access switch to the MX-like router because they
can't connect every basement to an aggregation point and it just breaks
the whole idea of access network).

I just wanted to note, that from the money point of view at the time
when MX80 was under construction, it /could/ be a wise decision to not
compete against products like CES/CER and make it more router-alike than
a MetroE optimized device.