[j-nsp] Different media in an AE cause framing issues?

Morgan McLean wrx230 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 13:51:39 EDT 2013

Phil,

I can't imagine that BOTH connections I added to the AE are bad, whether it
be SFP related or Fiber related. And I'm using the same fiber and SFP's out
to the cabinets (with no issues as of yet), which leaves me with the DAC +
SFP on an AE is a bad idea.

Ben,

Ya I'm thinking thats my next step, only problem is this is in production,
and I would really hate to bring up an AE that drops packets out the ass. I
think people would notice that one...Might be able to test it in a lab if I
have the required stuff here.

Morgan

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 1:29 AM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 04/01/2013 08:52 PM, Morgan McLean wrote:
>
>  So at this point I'm wondering if mixing the fiber and DAC connections is
>> nono? Due to timing issues? Not sure how that would screw up the frame,
>> but
>> maybe somebody has more insight.
>>

> That seems like a really complicated explanation; why would you assume
> that, rather than a fibre problem e.g. bad splice, dirty connector, etc? Or
> even bad SFP+?
>
> I'm unfamiliar with the EX platforms, but it would seem really odd if they
> had this kind of tight inter-port timing constraints just because they're
> in an aggregate; what about diverse fibre paths with radically different
> lengths, which are a common enough config?

Thanks,
Morgan