[j-nsp] Help with "DDoS fpc slot" and "loopback wedge" messages

Brad Fleming bdflemin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 10:53:44 EDT 2013

Hello all,

One of our MX10s apparently has a sense of humor; it decided to bounce all of its routing protocols early morning on the April 1st. We saw all OSPFv2, OSPFv3, LDP, and BGP neighbors bounce at the exact same time and restore roughly 45 seconds later. In the wake of the event we noticed two log messages that we've never seen before.

<<bunches of OSPFv3 neighbors down>>
Apr  1 00:35:59  agg-kc-1 /kernel: %KERN-7: DDOS referring to an invalid fpc slot (255)while updating protocol stats
Apr  1 00:36:00  agg-kc-1 tfeb0 Host Loopback:HOST LOOPBACK WEDGE DETECTED IN PFE 0
<<few more protocols breaking>>
<<protocols coming back online>>

We're running Junos 11.4R1.14. We don't have any of the DDoS features of the MX explicitly configured; they're all in default state.

Regarding the loopback wedge message:
http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB26276

In our case the ingress and egress ports are all on the same 20x1G MIC card. But I'm not sure if the RE in an MX10 requires the fabric to get packets on the wire or whether its hardwired to each potential ingress / egress MIC slot.

Any insight or thoughts on the subject would be very much appreciated!