[j-nsp] ike túnnel termination on 5800s

Alex Arseniev alex.arseniev at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 05:55:54 EDT 2013

Loopback interface for chassis cluster VPN-This feature is supported on all
high-end SRX Series devices.
An Internet Key Exchange (IKE) gateway needs an external interface to
communicate with a peer device. In a chassis cluster setup, the node on
which the external interface is active selects a Services Processing Unit
(SPU) to support the VPN tunnel. IKE and IPsec packets are processed on that
SPU. Therefore, the active external interface determines the anchor SPU.

In a chassis cluster setup, this external interface can be the redundant
Ethernet interface or a standalone interface. These interfaces can go down
when the physical interfaces are down. Therefore, loopback interfaces can be
used to reach the peer gateway because the loopback interfaces are alternate
physical interfaces.

This feature allows the loopback interface to be configured for any
redundancy group. This redundancy group configuration is only checked for
VPN packets, because only VPN packets must find the anchor SPU through the
active interface.

On high-end SRX Series devices, the lo0 pseudointerface cannot be configured
in RG0 when it is used as an IKE gateway external interface. Because a VPN
is only supported in an active/passive chassis cluster environment on
high-end SRX Series devices, the lo0 pseudointerface can be configured in
such a setup for RG1. In a chassis cluster setup, the node on which the
external interface is

https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.1x44/information-products/topic-collections/release-notes/12.1x44-d10/topic-72756.html#jd0e7482
Thanks
Alex